A special episode of the Think Queerly Podcast — TQ107
Recently, I was a guest on the radio show, Rainbow Country on CIUT 89.5 FM. The creator and host, Mark Tara invited me back for a second show to talk about various aspects of gender identity along with my colleague, scholar and activist, Jeffry J. Iovannone. We discuss the history, definitions, and societal progress for how we understand gender in modern-day terms.
What We Cover in the Episode
Starting at 7m 05s we begin by looking backwards with a brief review of the history of gender identity, LGBTQ — and specifically transgender activism — and how society seems to have changed with the advent of the internet.
We then delve into the definitions, political, social, and linguistic history of terms like biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, cis-gender, transgender, intersex, gender non-binary, genderqueer, and more.
Finally, we discuss where progress is happening in the world, from changes to medical terms at the World Health Organization, some of the simple shifts in certain languages that can make trans and gender non-conforming people feel more welcome in everyday situations, and the different ways we could consider identity that has nothing to do with gender.
- Listen to Rainbow Country, Gay Talk Radio Toronto-style, Tuesday’s from 11 pm to 1 am on CIUT 89.5 FM. Follow Mark Tara on Twitter and Instagram.
- Read Jeffry J. Iovannone’s work here on Medium and follow him on Instagram.
Recommended podcast episodes
- Listen to my first interview on Rainbow Country
- My discussion with Jeffry Iovannone: Deconstructing the Ideal Gay Male Body — LOP077
- Deconstructing the Myth of Stonewall and its Influence on Mainstream Society — LOP091
Darren is a coach for queer thought leaders who want to make a difference in the world. He is currently working on developing “The Way of Queer Leadership”.